
Yup, you've heard it. Something bad happened on Prundential Life Plans, Inc. For those who have the luxury of time to read the whole story, you may find the article on the following link:
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/142311/prudentialife-plans-told-to-stop-payment-of-claims
Before I provide a summary and opinion on this matter, you need to know the following facts about pre-need:
For a brain-friendly summary:
*Philippine Daily Inquirer
Gov't, what the hell are you doing?
On my opinion, there are only two possible reasons why companies (i.e. CAP, Prudentialife, Pryce) failed to commit on their customer's expectations: Either fraud or bad decisions.
It is the job of IC(Insurance Commission) and SEC (Security Exchange Commission) to regulate and monitor companies to ensure the consumers are well protected. But during the Asian Financial crisis, these sectors have been lax in monitoring these pre-need businesses. Although new decrees have been place to regulate these businesses, they need to be more stringent and active in monitoring these companies. With the Prundetialife incident, a new decree is being proposed to increase the capital for pre-need up to 5 times.
Do not stop investing
As of now, it maybe a good idea to avoid open-ended pre-need plans while the government is trying to rehabilitate pre-need businesses.
I admit that my tuition fee at DLSU was covered by CAP. When I was 1 year old, my parents bought a pre-need plan from CAP. It was a traditional, open-ended, pre-need plan. The total amount paid by my parents is approx. Php 18K only, but it was able to cover almost 420K tuition fee in DLSU. I was part of the lucky ones who was able to get claims from CAP before they went down. But if I were part of the "unlucky ones", I would be extremely disappointed and I will no longer have the confidence to invest.
The confidence of Filipinos on Life Insurance Companies was affected due to the fact that majority of Filipinos has an impression that pre-need companies is one and the same with Life Insurance Companies. However, it is due to my complete understanding of their differences that still made me confident on investing on Life Insurance Companies. As a matter of fact, "Wala pang Life Insurance Company sa Pilipinas ang nalugi".
How about close-ended Pre-need plans, would you recommend it?
I would rather go for Mutual Funds. Close-ended pre-need plans provide an interest rate from 5-6% p.a. only. Although the returns are guaranteed, 5-6% p.a. interest rate is too low. If you are SUPER-UBER conservative (and an existing millionaire), go for close-ended pre-need. If not, I highly recommend go for Mutual Funds instead since it provides a faster growth of investment, at the same time liquid.
National MILO Marathon 2019
7 years ago


