Helping Filipinos achieve financial freedom

Banner 468

Facebook
RSS

How I gained from Hospital Income Benefit

-
Jake



Last week, October 24-29, I was confined in the hospital for 6 days due to dengue. The total hospital bill for 6 days (including medicines) amounted to Php 20,534.

Due to my medical insurances (i.e. Medicard, Philhealth, Hospital Income Benefit from Sun Life), I only need to pay, Php -8,893. Yup, that's right. NEGATIVE. It means that I even gained money from my 6 days confinement.


Here is the Breakdown:

Total Hospital Bill: 20,534

Covered by Medicard and Philhealth: 17,427

Hospital Income Benefit: Php 2,000 x 6 days = Php 12,000

Hospital income benefit is an income replacement benefit from my life insurance which pays me Php 2,000 for every day I am confined in the hospital. Since I was confined for 6 days, I'll be getting Php 12,000.

Hospital income benefit is not a form of hospital reimbursement. It is an income replacement on the event that you were hospitalized. This is perfect for people who are self-employed or has completely variable income.

For me to have this benefit, I am paying an extra Php 490/month. But this benefit will not go to waste if I'm healthy. On the event that I maintained myself healthy, that monthly charge will go to my MF investment in my Variable Life Insurance Policy.

Of course, I don't want to make this Hospital Income Benefit a form of "Cash Cow" for my gain. Having dengue is something I don't want to experience again. It was torture.

The Lesson: "Wag magpakagat sa lamok"

2 Responses so far.

  1. Daves says:

    i have a similar type of program myself. though yours is better since it goes to you VLIP. by the way, rest well Jake! hope to see you running in the road again =)

  2. Jake says:

    Thanks Daves, fully recovered na, except the 6 lbs that was lost. See you on Unilab Run this coming Sunday. :)

Leave a Reply